America’s Thanksgiving Day Parade is a tradition for a lot of us here in Metro Detroit, but if you’ve never been, there’s some things you need to know before you head downtown on Turkey Day!
Not only is the parade happening, but the annual Turkey Trot will also be taking place that morning and the Detroit Lions will take on the Chicago Bears at Ford Field for the annual Thanksgiving Day football game.
(Photo courtesy of The Parade Company Detroit)
Woodward from West Grand Boulevard to Warren Avenue will be closed from 1 p.m. on Wednesday through 2 p.m. Thursday.
Woodward from Warren to Jefferson avenues will also be shut down beginning at 1 a.m. until the the end of the parade Thursday.
These streets will have limited access starting Wednesday at noon:
- Amsterdam/Piquette from Cass to John R
- Harper from Cass to John R
- Palmer from Cass to John R
- Ferry from Cass to John R
- Farnsworth/Putnam from Cass to John R
These streets will be closed starting at 5 a.m. on Thursday and reopen roughly at 10 a.m.:
- Michigan at Cass
- Fort Street from Trumbull to Woodward
- Congress from Shelby to Randolph
- Larned from Shelby to Randolph
- Shelby from Congress to Michigan
- Michigan from Cass to Woodward
- Monroe from Woodward to Randolph
- Lafayette Blvd. from Trumbull to Griswold
- Washington Blvd. from Adams to Congress
- Atwater from Civic Center Drive to Third
Plus, there will be some exits on the Lodge Freeway that will be closed during the Turkey Trot:
- Exits 1A and 1B southbound
- Exit 1A northbound
- 6 a.m.: Pre-parade coverage begins on channel 4 (WDIV)
- 7:30 a.m.: Turkey Trot begins
- 8 a.m.: Grandstand seating opens for ticket holders
- 9:45 a.m.: Parade begins on Woodward and Kirby
- 10 a.m.: Live broadcast begins on channel 4 (WDIV)
- 12:30 p.m.: Kickoff at Ford Field
It looks like as of right now, most of the rain is set to fall on Wednesday before the parade. Thursday morning at 7:30 when the Turkey Trot begins, they’re forecasting temps around 25 degrees. By 9AM the temps will be the same, but hopefully we’ll get a few peeks of sun through the clouds. They’re predicting the high for the day to be around 39 degrees and will reach that around 2PM. In other words, if you’re heading to the parade, bundle up!
Click HERE for more info on the parade!