Story by Ron Burgess and Anne Erickson
WRIF first started broadcasting true rock ‘n’ roll to the Motor City on On Feb. 14, 1971, and we’ve never looked back!
It’s been an honor to rock with you for the past 50 years, and we look forward to the next 50.
Let’s reflect on these key events and happenings in Detroit and around the world in the year 2015!
- The Tigers finished in last place in their division with a 74–87 record. They didn’t make the playoffs.
- The Lions were eliminated from playoff consideration after losing to St. Louis.
- For the first time in four decades, the share of Americans living in middle-income households fell below 51%.
- Same sex marriage became legal in all 50 states.
- NASA confirmed the presence of water on Mars.
- The Climate Change Summit saw 195 countries endorse the Paris agreement to limit climate change.
- Star Wars returned to the big screen with The Force Awakens.
- Green Day was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.