Tom Holland has clarified comments he made about his future in Marvel’s Spider-Man franchise, saying they were “misconstrued.”
The 25-year-old actor suggested to GQ last month that he was in favor of Marvel developing a Spider-Man film around another character, such as the alternative Spider-Man Miles Morales.
“Maybe it is time for me to move on. Maybe what’s best for Spider-Man is that they do a Miles Morales film. I have to take Peter Parker into account as well, because he is an important part of my life,” he said. “If I’m playing Spider-Man after I’m 30, I’ve done something wrong.”
However, speaking to Extra’s Cheslie Kryst yesterday (December 7) along with co-star Zendaya and Jacob Batalon, Holland said that his comments had been “misconstrued” in various media reports.
“No one actually speaks the truth. I don’t know what the future of Spider-Man looks like,” he said. “I don’t know whether I’m going to be a part of it. Spider-Man will always live on in me and I know that [producer] Amy [Pascal] and the studio are keen to figure out what the next chapter of Spider-Man looks like. If that happens to be with me, then that’s very exciting but, you know, if it’s time for me to walk away then I’ll do so proudly.”
He continued, “What I was referring to, in that interview where I said: ‘If I’m playing Spider-Man after I’m 30, I’ve done something wrong,’ it’s because I would be taking up an opportunity for someone to come in and change what being Spider-Man means. Spider-Man could be more diverse, it could be a female character, it could be anything.”
Kryst liked Holland’s comments, asking Zendaya if she would be seen as Spider-Man, to which she replied, “Nah, nah, nah, I’m gonna leave the Spider-Manning to you, my friend,” giving Holland an earnest slap on his knee.
Watch the interview below:
Holland can next be seen in Spider-Man: No Way Home, the third standalone Spider-Man film he stars in, premiering in theaters December 17.